For any Health and Safety Management System to be effective, management must show leadership and commitment to the program. The first step in accomplishing this is to put the organization's expectations around health and safety into writing by developing a Health and Safety Policy.
An organization's Health and Safety Policy should contain:
- A declaration of management’s commitment to health and safety
- Overall goals and objectives of the health and safety program
- General health and safety responsibilities of management, workers, contractors and visitors while at the work site
- A requirement to comply with applicable government legislation, and
- A requirement to comply with the organization’s own health and safety standards.